Jade Russell
Phone: (217) 935-7820
Fax: (217) 935-7829
201 West Washington Street Clinton, Illinois 61727 
Christi Irvin, Chief Deputy

Barbara Powers, Deputy

The County Treasurer has the responsibility to receive, invest and distribute the revenue and public monies of the county. The office also keeps accounts of all monies paid out. It is my duty to invest any funds which are not used within 30 days. The County's money is invested in banks in DeWitt County.

As County Collector, I prepare bill and receipts for the purpose of tax collection of real estate, drainage and mobile home taxes within the county. Upon receipt the money is distributed to more than 168 taxing districts. As Collector, I hold a tax sale at the end of each year to sell the taxes on every parcel that remains unpaid.

As County Treasurer, we receive and record inheritance taxes, collect and distribute monies from the state, serve as treasurer for the Emergency Telephone System Board 911, assist senior citizens in filing for Real Estate Tax Deferrals, serve as treasurer for 40 drainage districts, and maintain the tax records.

If you have any questions regarding the information provided on this website, please feel free to contact our office at (217) 935-7820.

DeWitt County Property Tax Look Up

Real estate tax due dates:
  • 1st Installment Due 7/12/2024
  • 2nd Installment Due 9/6/2024
Mobile home taxes due 05/10/2024.

Credit Card Payments:
Make an On-Line Payment
Mobile Homes
Mobile Home Tax
There are approximately 250 mobile home bills sent in DeWitt County. In accordance with Illinois law, Tax bills are issued to mobile home owners based on the age of the home and the square footage of the home.

Mobile home bills are mailed the 1st week in March and due sixty days later. A $25.00 penalty per month is effective the 1st day following the due date.  An Additional $25.00 per month (or portion of) will be applied, not to exceed $100.00.
How to Protest Taxes
How to Protest Your Real Estate Taxes
The laws regarding Paying Under Protest changed in 2003. The County Treasurer no longer has any role in the procedures. The Statutes can be found at 35 ILCS 200/Art. 23. Due to the complexity of the laws, we will only give general guidelines as to how to proceed. We are in no way suggesting that the advice given here is all inclusive and comprehensive. Please consult an attorney for your particular situation.
When protesting you tax bill, it is no longer necessary to submit a protest form or any letter of protest at the time of payment. According to a new state law, in order to protest the tax bill, you must do two things:
1. See that the tax is PAID IN FULL and,
2. File a tax objection complaint with the DeWitt County Circuit Clerk.
When these two conditions are met, then 100% of the tax bill will be considered paid under protest. The law provides for deadlines for each condition to be met.
Some of the things that have changed:
  • You no longer identify your payment as being under protest. You just pay your taxes in full before the annual tax sale, including any late fees.
  • You no longer file any forms at the time of payment with the County Collector.
  • Your payment is no longer held in escrow. It is distributed to all of the taxing districts as any other payment would be handled. No money is withheld from any taxing district.
  • You now file your Tax Objection Complaint with the DeWitt County Circuit Clerk.
Tax Sale Registration
What Is Property Tax?
Anyone that owns real property such as land, buildings, and permanent fixtures such as fences, landscaping, driveways, sewers, or drains.

Every person and business in Illinois is affected by property Taxes-they either pay the tax or receive services or benefits that are paid for by property taxes.
What If I Object To My Tax Bill?
If you think that your tax bill is not fair you must pay the taxes and file a tax objection complaint with the circuit court (payment under protest). You must also appear in court to explain the objection to the tax bill amount.
What if I Don't Receive My Tax Bill?
According to state statute a taxpayer is still responsible for a tax even if a bill is not received.

Taxes are usually due the middle of June and the 1St week of September of each year. If you do not receive a bill by the 1St of June you need to call the Treasurers' Office (217) 935-7820 so that we can mail you a duplicate bill. When you call we will look up the mailing address of the bill to make sure that it is correct, if a change needs to be made you will need to contact the County Assessor's Office (217) 935-7800.

If a mortgage company should request a duplicate bill, we are required to charge the mortgage company $5.00 per Statute 35 ILCS 200/20-12.

How Much Are Interest Penalties and When Are Interest Charges Assessed?
The interest penalty is 1.5% per month and in order to follow Statute 35 ILLS 200/21-15 interest charges begin the day after the due date.
How Is My Tax Bill Calculated?
The tax bill takes into account the new assessment and the new tax rate. The total tax is calculated by multiplying the Total Tax Rate by the Taxable Assessed Value s. This amount equals the total taxes due on the parcel for the year.

The Total Tax Rate represents the taxes paid to each taxing body per $100.00 of Taxable Assessed Value.

The Taxable Assessed Value represents the Equalized Assessment less the Exemption that a taxpayer is entitled to.
Where can I pay my Taxes?
  • Mail payment to:
DeWitt County Collector
PO Box 439
Clinton, IL 61727
    • Your cancelled check will be your receipt unless you send a self-addressed stamped envelope with your payment. 
    • A mailed payment is considered made on time if postmarked on or before the due date.
  • In person at the Treasurer’s office located at 201 W. Washington Street, Clinton.
  • A drop box is located at the NORTH end of the County Building parking lot and is emptied daily.
  • Payments can be made at the following banks: 
    • DeWitt Savings Bank, Clinton IL 
    • First National Bank, Clinton IL 
    • Heartland Bank, Farmer City and Clinton IL 
  • E-check and debit/credit card payments can be made online at
What if I've Sold the Property?
It takes a number of months for the name change to go through all of the departments until it is finally changed on the tax bill. If you receive a tax bill for a parcel that you have sold please forward the bill on to the new owner and then contact the County Supervisor of Assessments Office at (217) 935-7800.
Can I make a Partial Payment?

No, partial payments will not be accepted. Installments must be paid in full.

Does the Treasurer's Office Send Receipts for Taxes that are Paid?

No, your cancelled check or bank statement will serve as a receipt. If you need a physical receipt, please enclose a self-addressed stamped envelope with your mailed payment.

Who Do I Call if There is a Problem With My Tax Bill?

If there is a problem with your assessment, exemptions or the address that the bill is mailed to, please contact the Supervisor of Assessments at (217) 935-7800.

Additional Important Tax Information
Delinquent Tax Notice
A "courtesy" Friendly reminder is mailed out approximately a week after the 2nd installment due date.

Per State Statute, certified delinquent tax notices must be mailed out no less than 15 days prior to Judgment date.

The delinquent notice provides the total amount due including interest, costs, date and times of Judgment and Tax sale.

After the certified delinquent tax notice is sent, Personal checks will not be accepted. Cash, money order, or cashiers check only.

Newspaper Publication
State Statute requires us to publish all delinquent taxes at least 10 days prior to date of judgment.

The publication will list the parcel number, the owner of record and the delinquent tax amount. It will also state the date and time of application for judgment with the circuit court and the date and time of the Tax Sale.

This publication is intended to be a notification, not harassment.

Tax Sale
The tax sale is held within 5 business days from the date of judgment. If delinquent taxes are still not paid by the date of the sale they will be sold. A tax buyer will purchase the tax for the amount due, which will include the tax amount and interest penalties that have accrued. After the tax is sold the property owner will have to redeem the tax from the tax buyer through the County Clerk's Office.

Payments of delinquent taxes will not be accepted after the sale has begun